Come with me and experience many of the more pleasant sights, smells and tastes of life, kick back and take the time to soak it all in! A place for reviews, stories, recipes and anything else I feel like sharing with the gents out there who like me appreciate the finer things.
Monday, September 3, 2012
Demented Brews to date!
So this is a breakdown of the brews to date that have come out of my very own personal brewery, "Demented Brews" which I hope may one day go commercial, although right now it is just for the casual enjoyment of me and my close friends. So far I take a fairly freestyle approach to brewing, I know fairly little about the science, but I go on impulse and enough knowledge to get by, hence the name, "Demented Brews".
Honey Ale: My very first brew creation, a sweet honey ale with a fairly strong malty taste. I do not check the gravity of my beers so the ABV is unknown, but this one was pretty strong with a double serving of yeast, malt, and honey. I give this beer a five out of ten based on my own feelings and feedback from friends.
Cinnamon Stout: A very basic stout made from a simple australian extract recipe, however with one demented addition... you guessed it cinnamon. This beer was made as a thick and concentrated heavy stout to match the tastes of a local legend from our cigar shop in town. Eight out of ten, a pretty freaking good beer, if your into this kind of thing.
Virginia Spring Pilsner: A moderately hopped pilsner brewed with fresh Virginia mountain spring water. This one is a personal favorite, I'd love to someday try and recreate with ingredients all originating in the great state of Virginia. Another fine brew with a seven out of ten rating, it was just a bit more hoppy than what I was aiming for, but still mighty fine.
Oak Stout: Another stout, made from the same recipe as the cinnamon stout, but with bourbon soaked oak chips instead of cinnamon thrown into the mash. I give this one a seven out of ten because I would have liked the oak a bit more forward, but it was still yummy.
Demented Apple Wine: My first cider, made with pure apple juice, no concentrates, cinnamon, honey, and heavily oaked bourbon. It came out somewhat like an apple champagne sort of drink with a sweet cinnamon finish. I give this one a six out of ten because it could have been a bit dryer for my tastes and I'm just not sure that the flavors came together the way I imagined. I recommend a drink I call "Granny's Fairy Friend", a mix of this with a shot of absinthe to tone down the sweetness, make sure it's ice cold.
Light Cocoa Porter- This one was my first all grain attempt and something went wrong at the mashing stage, I just didn't get enough fermentable sugar and malt in this one, it was no good and I'm in the process of disposing of the rest of it. This one was a learning experience with a final score of 3 out of ten only because it was still drinkable and the flavor had potential had it not been watered down.
The Virginia Creeper- A beer inspired by the steam locamotive with a style that originated right here in the USA, although the style is dominated by a brewery in CA, that can't stop the demented brew house from giving it a go. It was just bottled so there will be more info to come on this one.
Hopefully soon, I'll have time to review some non in-house drinks and maybe some eatables as well! I should even have some recipes, so please check back often.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment